Have you been thinking about upgrading your home by purchasing solar panels? While they can be a great investment, they aren’t right for every home or homeowner. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of solar panels so you can decide if they’re the right choice for you.
Pros of Solar Panels
Solar electric systems, which are also known as photovoltaic or PV systems, have a wide variety of benefits, including:
- Lower electric bills. When you get the bulk of your electricity from the sun, you don’t have to pay as much to the utility company. In some instances, you may even be able to sell excess energy back to your electric company.
- Tax incentives. Who doesn’t want to pay lower taxes? Solar systems sold in the United States are eligible for a 26% federal tax credit, and additional state, local, and utility incentives exist in many places.
- Lower your carbon footprint. Installing solar panels could decrease your family’s carbon output by more than 3,000 pounds per year.
Cons of Solar Panels
While solar panels are a great investment for many homeowners, the cons may outweigh the pros for some people. Here are some of the limitations and downsides of solar panels:
- Weather dependence. If you live in a place that is often cloudy or rainy, the cost savings you get from your solar panels may not be worth the initial investment.
- High initial cost. While your solar panels will likely pay for themselves over time by reducing your electricity bills, the initial purchase price can be too much for some homeowners.
- Big space requirements. If you have a small roof, you may not get enough energy to make the cost worth it, because you need about 100 square feet of roof space for every 1 kW of conventional solar panels.
Solar PV Kits from The LeverEdge
At The LeverEdge, we have a wide selection of solar PV kits to meet a variety of needs. Our PV kits include:
- High-performance PV modules
- Quickmount PV, Iron Ridge, or Uni-rac racking systems
- SMA, Enphase, or Solar Edge inverters
- SolaDeck junction box with integrated flashing
- Cable tires and wire management
- Engineer drawings, including FSEC system certification (available as required by your local AHJ or building department)
Learn More Today
The LeverEdge carries solar PV kits made from a selection of high-quality components from the industry’s leading manufacturers of modules, inverters, and mounting solutions to form a custom pre-engineered system.
Share this Post